ALERT: Effective January 1, 2018, the titles for Marriage and Family Therapist Interns, and Professional Clinical Counselor Interns will change. More Information

Continuing Education (CE) Requirements

Important Note Notice: CE Regulation Changes new graphic

The Board has gained approval of its new Continuing Education regulation. This will result in upcoming changes for Continuing Education Providers and Board licensees. Licensees are encouraged to review the following information for further details:

General Information

  • Licensees must complete 36 hours of continuing education within the preceding two years of their license renewal date. Licensees renewing for the first time only need to complete a minimum of 18 hours of continuing education by the expiration date of the license.
  • A list of the Board's Continuing Education Providers is available on the Forms and Publications Information. Once you have located the PCE provider on this list by name or PCE Provider number you can also verify their status online at DCA's Breeze License Verification.
  • The Continuing Education Information Brochure is a helpful publication for keeping licensees informed of new continuing education requirements.

Mandatory Coursework

All mandatory courses are one-time requirements. Please refer to the Board's Continuing Education Chart for additional information.

Additional CE Requirement for LPCC's

Effective April 1, 2013, licensed professional clinical counselors must take a one-time, seven hour continuing education course covering the assessment and treatment of people living with HIV and AIDS, as part of the 36 hour continuing education coursework requirement.

You must take this course in your first renewal period after the effective date of this regulation (1887.3, California Code of Regulations).

If you have previously taken an HIV or AIDS course that meets the requirements of this regulation, or have equivalent teaching or practice experience, you may submit proof of this to the Board, upon request, in lieu of taking the course. However, this equivalent coursework or experience will not count toward your required 36 hours of continuing education.

Auditing Information

If you are a licensee, you certify completion of continuing education on your renewal application. Random CE audits ensure compliance. If audited, you will receive a letter from the Board requesting copies of your continuing education certificates or course documentation as proof of compliance. Failure to comply with the Board's audit may result in enforcement action.

Keep proof of completed coursework for at least four years.

CE Requirements Exceptions and Special Accommodations

A Request for an exception form, or a reasonable accommodation for, continuing education requirements must be submitted to the Board at least 60 days prior to license expiration. The Board will notify you within 30 working days after receipt of the request for exception or reasonable accommodation on the status of the request. If the request for exception or reasonable accommodation is denied, you are responsible for completing the full amount of continuing education required for license renewal. If the request for exception or accommodation is approved, it will be valid for one renewal period. The Board shall grant the exception if provided evidence, satisfactory to the Board, that:

  • For at least one year during the licensee's previous license renewal period the licensee was absent from California due to military service.
  • For at least one year during the licensee's previous license renewal period the licensee resided in another country;

The Board may grant a reasonable accommodation if, for at least one year during the licensee's previous license renewal period, the licensee or an immediate family member, including a domestic partner, where the licensee is the primary caregiver for that family member, had a physical or mental disability or medical condition as defined in Section 12926 of the Government Code. The physical or mental disability or medical condition must be verified by a licensed physician or psychologist with expertise in the area of the physical or mental disability or medical condition. Verification of the physical or mental disability or medical condition must be submitted by the licensee on the "Request for Continuing Education Exception – Verification of Disability or Medical Condition" form.

For more information on exceptions to the continuing education, please call (916) 574-7866.