Enforcement Program (Expert Consultants)
The Board of Behavioral Sciences (Board) is recruiting qualified Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists (LMFT), Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW), Licensed Professional Clinical Counselors (LPCC), and Licensed Educational Psychologists (LEP) statewide to serve as expert consultants for the Board’s Expert Witness Program.
Expert consultants play a very important role in consumer protection. Board experts provide consultation to staff, review case materials, prepare written opinions, and when necessary testify at administrative hearings as an expert witness.
An expert consultant is a Board licensee possessing technical and professional knowledge gained through advanced education and extensive work experience to form a definitive opinion regarding the standard of care for the profession.
Expert consultants are paid $85 per hour for case review and preparation of the expert opinion report, and $100 per hour plus expenses if called to testify at an administrative hearing. Experts will also be awarded six hours of continuing education for attending expert training.
Interested applicants must meet the following qualifications:
- Hold a current LMFT, LCSW, LPCC or LEP license; be in good standing; have no prior or pending disciplinary actions; and no pending investigations or enforcement actions.
- Have a minimum of five years post-licensure practice.
- Maintain consistent, ongoing, face-to-face client contact (minimum of 10 hours per week).
- Possess working knowledge of current laws and regulations governing the practice that the expert consultant is licensed to perform.
- Possesses knowledge of professional code of ethics.
- Possess strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to express ideas logically and critically.
- Agree to the Board’s hourly compensation rate.
- Willing to serve as an expert for at least three consecutive years, with an option to apply for renewal at the end of three years.
If you are interested in providing expert consultant services to the Board and you meet the above requirements, please complete and submit an Expert Consultant application along with a cover letter outlining why you would like to participate in the program. Include a current curriculum vitae. Mail your packet to the Board at the address listed below.
For more information before applying, contact Craig Zimmerman at (916) 574-7761 or Sandra Wright at (916) 574-7752.
Board of Behavioral Sciences
ATTN: Expert Consultant Coordinator
1625 North Market Boulevard, Suite S-200
Sacramento, CA 95834 (916) 574-7890