- LCSW, LMFT, LPCC: Upcoming License Renewal Fee Increase (SB 1188):
All licensees with an expiration date on or after July 1, 2018 will experience a fee increase upon renewal. This is a result of the passage of SB 1188 (Chapter 557, Statutes of 2017), and the increased revenue will provide additional funds to the Mental Health Practitioner Education Fund (more info):
- LMFTs: Biennial renewal fee will increase from $140 to $150
- LCSWs: Biennial renewal fee will increase from $110 to $120
- LPCCs: Biennial renewal fee will increase from $175 to $195
- LMFT Out-of-State Educational Requirements (BPC §4980.81):
Applicants shall meet (each of) the following educational requirements:
- A minimum of two semester units of instruction in the diagnosis, assessment, prognosis, and treatment of mental disorders, including severe mental disorders, evidence-based practices, and promising mental health practices that are evaluated in peer reviewed literature.
- At least one semester unit or 15 hours of instruction in psychological testing AND at least one semester unit or 15 hours of instruction in psychopharmacology.
- LPCC Core Content Areas (AB 1917):
No applicant shall be deficient (prohibits remediation outside of the applicant’s qualifying degree program) in the required core content areas of:
- Assessment, appraisal, and testing of individuals, as specified.
- Principles of the diagnostic process and the use of diagnostic tools, as specified.
- LPCC Treatment of Couples and Families (CCR §1820.7):
LPCCs shall obtain Board confirmation of qualifications to treat couples and families, and shall provide a copy of this confirmation to:
- 1) Couple or family clients prior to commencement of treatment.
- 2) An associate marriage and family therapist or trainee prior to commencement of supervision.
- 3) Another LPCC or Associate PCC gaining supervised experience to comply with requirements to treat couples or families prior to commencement of supervision.
- Subsequent Registration Associates and Interns (BPC: ASW: §4992.09(f),(g); IMF: §4980.39(f),(g); APCC: §4999.55(f),(g))
Applicants who obtained a subsequent (2nd or 3rd) ASW, IMF, or APCC registration anytime during 2016, must pass the California Law and Ethics Exam, in order to renew their registration in 2017.
In addition, on or after January 1, 2017, applicants for subsequent ASW, IMF, or APCC registration must pass the California Law and Ethics Exam, before a subsequent registration may be issued.
- Pending Legislation
For further information regarding pending legislation see California's Legislative Information website, which provides the bill's language, history, status, and analysis as provided by the California State Legislature
BBS Position on Pending Bills
Detailed bill information may be found by clicking the links in the "Bill Number" column below.
Bill Number Author Sponsor Title Version Board Position Status AB 93 Medina Board of Behavioral Sciences Healing Arts: LMFTs: LCSWs: LPCCs: Required Experience and Supervision May 29, 2018 Sponsor Pending AB 456 Thurmond Seneca Family of Agencies / Lincoln Families Healing Arts: Associate Clinical Social Workers May 7, 2018 Support Pending AB 767 Quirk-Silva Committee on Jobs, Economic Development, and the Economy Master Business License Act April 5, 2018 Support Pending AB 1436 Levine The Steinberg Institute Board of Behavioral Sciences:
Licensees: Suicide Prevention Training
April 23, 2018 Support Pending AB 2088 Santiago CAMFT Patient Records: Addenda February 7, 2018 Support Pending AB 2117 Arambula Board of Behavioral Sciencese Marriage and Family Therapists:
Clinical Social Workers:
Professional Clinical Counselors
April 30, 2018 Sponsor Pending AB 2138 Chiu and Low Anti-Recidivism Coalition; East Bay Community Law Center; Legal Services for Prisoners w/Children; Root & Rebound Licensing Boards: Denial of Application: Revocation or Suspension of Licensure: Criminal Convictions April 2, 2018 Oppose Unless Amended Pending AB 2143 Caballero California Psychiatric Association Mental Health: Licensed Mental Health Service Provider Education Program May 7, 2018 Oppose Unless Amended Pending AB 2296 Waldron CALPCC Licensed Professional Clinical Counselors: Licensed Clinical Social Workers April 26, 2018 Support Pending AB 2302 Baker Author Child Abuse: Sexual Assault: Mandated Reporters March 15, 2018 Oppose Unless Amended Pending AB 2608 Stone Journey House Licensed Mental Health Service Provider Education Program: Former Foster Youth April 3, 2018 Oppose Unless Amended Pending AB 2943 Low Equality California; National Center for Lesbian Rights; Trevor Project Unlawful Business Practices: Sexual Orientation Change Efforts March 23, 2018 Support Pending AB 2968 Levine Board of Psychology Psychotherapist-Client Relationship: Victims of Sexual Behavior and Sexual Contact: Informational Brochure March 23, 2018 Support Pending SB 906 Beall and Anderson The Steinberg Institute Medi-Cal: Mental Health Services: Peer, Parent, Transition-Age, and Family Support Specialist Certification April 19, 2018 Support if Amended Pending SB 968 Pan California Faculty Association; SEIU Postsecondary Education: Mental Health Counselors May 2, 2018 Support if Amended Pending SB 1491 Senate Committee on Business, Professions & Economic Development Board of Behavioral Sciences Healing Arts April 2, 2018 Sponsor Pending
- Approved Legislation
- Citizen's Guide to Participation
- Pending Regulation
The following regulations are pending approval from the Office of Administrative Law:
No Pending Regulation
- Approved Regulation
- How to Participate in the Rulemaking Process